I probably shouldn’t laugh, because the Islanders beat the Sabres in a shootout not too long ago, but last night’s game was amusing. The Caps are being rather ridiculous lately, with all this goal scoring and insane power play work and (with the exception of last night) awesome penalty killing. The Islanders just sort of rolled over and died in that one.
In the manual they give guys when they get signed in the NHL, one of the rules should be to never block a slapshot with your face, especially when the shot is coming from Alex Ovechkin. Chances are it won’t work out in your favor.
I don’t like Alex Semin, but holy cow, he’s been fantastic lately.
We’re getting the Caps game in HD tonight but I won’t be here to see it. Frowny face. Why is it always in HD when I can’t watch it?
The Sabres crapped out near the end of their road trip and tonight they’re playing in what one could definitely argue is one of those “four point games.” They and New Jersey are right up there behind Washington (who is starting to pull away). This is a game Buffalo needs to win, and not just because I want to keep the streak with me in attendance alive, and not just because if they lose and I have to hear about how it’s so hard coming back from the West Coast and turning around and playing a game, I’ll scream. Yes, players, your lives suck. You make millions of dollars chasing around a little piece of rubber. It must be awful to be you.
I know Lala was less than awesome in his last start but Lindy can’t start riding Ryan again, especially with the Olympics coming up.
Oh, and I hate Kerry Fraser. That’s all for today.
Pommer’s baby’s name is Jayden John. The only way this could be cuter is if little Jayden popped out wearing a beanie with a propeller on the top holding a lollipop.
The Sabres better kick some Islander butt tomorrow night, because while I saw nothing of the last time the two teams played each other, it sounds like it wasn’t pretty.
Usually I don’t mind posting on my phone, but tonight the lack of bullets bothers me. Stupid computer hogs in my family.
It sounds as though the Sabres are recovering from their bout with the swine. That’s always a good thing.
Alex is still hurt and I am still greatly distressed about this. Were they serious when they said two weeks? TWO WEEKS??! Holy hockey gods, that is INSANELY LONG.
His interview from today warmed my heart.
Here’s Mini Alex. He also suffered an upper body injury. (Um, the picture is at the bottom of the post. Sorry. That would be my phone’s fault.)
I’m scared for the Caps to play the Devils tomorrow. It’s going to be a bloodbath.
I’m also scared that Saturday night was the start of a downward spiral. When did the Sabres fall apart last year? Was it because of the Islanders??
Last night, as I was out getting candy and amusing small children with my moustache, the Sabres lost 5-0. To the Islanders. My friend Jillian and I were repeatedly checking the score on my phone and asking people at various houses. It did not sound good.
According to my father, who has seen many more Sabres games than I have, it was “Probably the worst, or one of the worst, games I’ve ever seen.”
I can’t believe Lindy started Miller. I told you, it’s a conspiracy!!
I could freak out about this, but instead I think I’ll go eat more of my candy. It’s probably better for my health.
Both of my teams went to overtime last night, but only one of them came out alive. In the grand scheme of things, I think it’s worse to lose to the Maple Leafs in overtime than it is to lose to the Islanders. But I’m still mad at you, Caps. You don’t play defense, Tom Poti still sucks, and you greatly angered me last night.
Okay, now that I got that out of my system, on to the Sabres!
They managed to win in overtime. This is a good thing, as Little Ryan probably would have lost his head if they haven’t. Dudes, how many times do we have to go over this? YOU CAN’T GIVE UP GOALS TO REALLY BAD TEAMS IN THE LAST MINUTE OF THE PERIOD. IT IS GENERALLY FROWNED UPON AND IT WON’T GET YOU ANYWHERE IN LIFE.
Drew got a goal for this birthday, so happy birthday again, little buddy! He also informed us, via Twitter, that swine has wreaked havoc on their team Halloween party. That’s a major bummer. Do you think I could get some quotes for my article?
Timmy also continued to be a badass and scored two goals, including the OT winner. I especially liked the one in overtime. You’re a good player, Timothy. You’re a really, really good player when you’re not hurt.
Timmy K continued to further embed himself in my heart by being awesome and gritty and too cute for words. He’s a good one, that Timmy. I like having him around.
Ryan Miller saved the Sabres’ collective backsides last night. He’s be great to this point in the season and I don’t want him getting tired out. That would be bad.
I’m fairly confident the Sabres will lose tonight for several reasons:
1.) It’s the second night of a back-to-back.
2.) Lala will hopefully be starting.
3.) It’s the Islanders, and therefore we can’t count on the Sabres to win.
4.) The Islanders will be riding on the “emotional high” of beating a team that was on a six-game winning streak in overtime. Argh.
Happy Halloween, kids. Enjoy the game if you stay in and watch it, enjoy the candy if you go get some. Make sure you check every piece before you eat it!
Embarrassing is the only word I can really think of to describe that game. Getting shut out is bad enough, but getting shut out to the Islanders? Really?
It makes me sad that the Sabres can’t get a win for Lala. He’s been really reliable these past few games and has been making great saves, but apparently it’s way too much to ask the Sabres to actually score a freaking goal. I don’t care how many good chances they had in the first period tonight, Harry. Chances mean absolutely nothing when the team can’t actually score.
Trade deadline is Wednesday. I love the trade deadline because GMs can always be counted on to make completely wacky-doodle trades. There’s been a lot of talk surrounding a Connolly trade but I actually don’t think Timmy’ll get traded. He’s too important to this team right now and I get the feeling that Darcy will at least try to resign him. I definitely expect to see Tallinder shipped out (sorry Heather), and even though I tear up just thinking about it I worry about Pie. MacArthur has done absolutely nothing memorable lately and I really want Jochen Hecht to go away. Tallinder, Hecht, and MacArthur might seem like a good package to some of those wacko GMs who go wild on deadline day.
Semin’s OT winner in the Caps/Bruins game today was fantastic. I feel really bad for Timtom but when goals like that are scored you can’t help but laugh.
TV is supposed to be back by Wednesday. If the hockey gods have any mercy at all he will.
Don Cherry seems to think Alex’s goal celebrations make him like Sean Avery. Huh. I really don’t see where he gets that from. I do know that part of what makes the Capitals so fun to watch is their obvious love for the game and their excitement when they score. Watching them get incredibly fired up by goals makes me really happy.
Speaking of the Capitals, uh, there’s still room on the bandwagon. I don’t want to be a Debbie Downer but I’m just puttin’ it out there…
Um, I really don’t like afternoon hockey games. They really bug me. I like hockey games on nights when I don’t have school the next day. I like curling up on the coach in my pajamas, not sitting at the desk trying to do homework and crane my neck at the TV at the same time.
Ah, Kevin Sylvester. How I have missed you. The pregame show is on, and I am loving the messy-haired Crunchy interview. I have this weird love of players with messy, sweaty, post-game hair. I find it adorable.
Lalime is getting his start this afternoon. I’m not sure if I should be worried or not. He was pretty solid in the preseason. I’m also not sure if I want Rick to play or not. I wouldn’t mind getting Mr. Back-up if it meant getting to see Ricky without his helmet. They don’t call him Pretty Ricky for nothing.
Okay, time to work on my Robert Mugabe research. I’ll update with thoughts at each intermission. Let’s Go Buffalo!!!
Hmm, sounds like Lindy doesn’t like afternoon games either. That’s pretty cool.
So is spaghetti for breakfast! Jealous!
P.S. Clare, thank you so much for the picture! I LOVE it!!! Reader Award to you!
First Period 1-0, Sabres
(These are basically my thoughts on the period as it was happening. There is NOTHING on Mugabe’s thoughts on African tribes online)
- Whoa, Jochen Hecht! You badass. Sabres score on the man advantage! 1-0.
- Geez, Mike. And just when I thought Hilary had made you go soft. Leave our boyz alone. (I think it’s hilarious that Mike Comrie was the highest scorer on the Islanders last year)
- Ugh. Just when I thought the Sabres’ power play was getting better, they don’t score in another four minute man advantage. Nice job, Boyz.
End of period thoughts: Lalime has looked solid from all the way back here in the kitchen, and it hasn’t sounded like the Sabres have been doing anything too bone-headed. Time to register for Survey Savvy, then we can start the next period!
Guys, there wasn’t anything uber-important in that Darcy Regier interview, was there? I was too busy eating a banana to listen.
Second Period 5-0 Sabres
- Ehmagod I totally love Adam Mair!!! 2-0, Sabres!!! (McDonald, that was absolutely terrible)
- You know what? Screw working on my book project. Word is being a retard (or, as Gena likes to put it, a “fucktard”) and the project isn’t even due until the 27th. I’m just going to watch some good ol’ hockey.
- Dear Readers, I don’t know about you, but I think Patrick Lalime has been looking very trustworthy thus far. Wouldn’t it be so nice if we all didn’t have to freak out about our back-up this year?
- Whatevs, Al. Just take a penalty. At least I get to see “Kaltsy” now! (I’ve decided that I like Pkaleta on the PK. It’s almost as nice as Ovie on the PK)
- 15 shorties, Islanders? Wow. You guys really do suck.
- THOMAS VANEK PUTS A SHORTIE HOME! WOOO!!! 3-0, SABRES!!! The verdict is in, Dear Readers: Frostee is starting to develop a soft spot for Thomas Vanek. What the hell is up with this?
- POPULATION OF POMINVILLE HAS MOVED UP AGAIN!! POMMERDOODLING!!!!!! 4-0 Sabres!
- Yet another reason why I love Pkaleta. Did you see that body slam?!?! And Craig Rivet, I do not appreciate your attempts at making me love you.
- Adam Mair, you are an OUTRAGEOUS BADASS.
- EEE now Teppo is being all sexy and captain-y as he fills in for Rivet. And I feel so bad for Petey! He was stuck on the bench when the fight started! (My dad is at work and texted me to find out what happened in the fight and he asked “Omg! Wheres Petey?”)
- Um, who is the blood from? Because that’s really gross. I hope the B-lo Boyz are okay!!!
- What the HELL. I am totally in love with Thomas Vanek. This is so annoying. Thomas, if you score more goals that Ovie this year, you die. 5-0 Sabres!!!
- I just missed the last two minutes of play because I was discussing meeting Ovie with my dad. He thinks Dr. Bisson won’t be able to get me in to meet the Capitals, since it’s the Capitals. I told him to ask if I could meet the Sabres, and then I could go into the Capitals room and pretend I was dyslexic/illiterate. Because sometimes I think I am dyslexic/illiterate.
- Mairsy is back! And yes, I did just reenact the Kaleta body slam for my dad. This will be so much easier when we have DVR.
- Um, why is Thompson going to the dressing room? I’m really confused. Maybe I should stop messing around on Facebook and just watch the game.
- Spacek’s in the sin bin. Delay of game penalties are lame.
- Gosh darn it, Pommer. I wanted you to score there!!! (Wouldn’t two shorties be so awesomely kickass?)
- Fuck. Did I just hear that Paille is hurt? Fuck.
- Wait, I’m confused. Do the Islanders want to lose?
- Good grief. Mike Comrie, what are we going to do with you? *shakes head*
- Wait, Paille appears to be okay. He’s sitting up on the bench and everything. Phew.
- Dammit, Thomas! Why are you making me love you so much!!
- And now we are treated to “sensitive” Al Kotalik. Awww.
Third Period. Final score: 7-1 Sabres.
But first, a few more thoughts from the intermission report:
- Did Kevin Sylvester just say that Adam Mair has an upper body injury? Because, you know, that’s not very good.
- Craig Rivet might not play on Wednesday?!!? The Rangers are undefeated! We need Rivet!! No!!!
Okay, third period stuff now:
- Ehmagod Crunchy just walked by!! He’s got his skull cap on!! Yay!!!
- My sudden squealing problem is even more concerning than my new-found love of Thomas Vanek.
- Whoa, Harry. She’s probably young enough to be your daughter.
- My brother just asked why it says that it’s the second period. Geez. Get it right, guys.
- WOOO!!! Kotalik sends it home on the 5-on-3! 6-0 Sabres!!
- Whoa, Tony Romo is out for four weeks with a broken pinkie! Ahahaha. He has a broken pinkie.
- Ah, fudge. I was hoping for a Lalime shutout. But the Islanders and their fans don’t actually think that the Islanders are going to make some miracle comeback and win now, do they?
- Al’s in the sin bin? Why?
- And Vanek’s going for goaltender interference? You know what is the most concerning about all this? I don’t feel a burning desire to cut of Thomas’s head for taking a penalty. I just want to hug him and tell him that it’s okay. I do not like this, Dear Readers. I do not like this one bit.
- GOAL!!! That was a GORGEOUS play, Clarke. Gorgeous. And it’s good to see that Paille is okay!! 7-1 Sabres.
- Oh my God, they’re playing the Spongebob theme song. I’m not gonna lie, that’s totally awesome.
- Petey just got a roughing, but so did some Isle. Oh, Petey.
- I’m starting to remember how much I loved the music they play at Nassau Coliseum. Now they’re playing “Welcome to the Black Parade”
- Is it just me, or has this game gotten slightly boring? There are only three minutes left and there appears to be a lot of skating up and down the ice.
- Oh, no, wait, Mair just got slashed. I guess he doesn’t have an upper body injury, then!
- What the HELL is up with the Islander’s mascot? It’s like some sort of dragon or something.
- 146 penalty minutes, eh? Good. I kind of like hockey fights. Not stupid, “we don’t really know how to fight so we’re just going to hug each other for a really long time” fights, but real, sticking up for your teammates, tough guy fights. And fights with the Pkaleta Body Slam.
- OMG I LOVE “What I’ve Done”!!! Can the Sabres play all of their games in Nassau Coliseum? Because not only will they win, we will get to hear awesome music.
- Who are the Islanders kidding? They’re gonna win the first draft pick in June. You heard it here first.
- EEE Crunchy!!! Happy Crunchy!!
- Seriously, Kevin? ”It was probably harder than it looked?” This is probably one of the easiest wins I’ve ever seen.
- Dear Readers, I love Lindy Ruff. He is the awesomest coach. I can’t believe this is the first post filed in my new “Lindy Ruff” category.
- Is it just me, or did Lalime look like Crunchy in that first shot of him? that kind of spooky. Speaking of guys that look like Crunchy, we decided that Ryan Gosling kind of looks like a wonky brow-less him.
- Ehmagod, I love Patrick Lalime. He’s adorable and well-spoken.
- Shit I was just thinking dreamily of Patrick Lalime and missed who they said might be out with an injury. Who is it?? I’m panicking!!
I’m just going to have to find out who’s hurt later. Now I have to go shower so that after my lesson is over I can watch the Caps!!
That was an awesome game, I’m not going to lie. If the Sabres beat the Rangers on Wednesday, I think I will go crazy.
I can’t believe they’re undefeated!! *squeals more*
Hecht is hurt? Hecht?!?! No!!!!! Yo-yo!!